Friday, January 24, 2014

Shall We Date?: Ninja Love, Munenori Yagyu Review

 
Munenori has beautiful hair, a gorgeous face, and is an expert swordsman, but he is RUDE AS SHIT. He blames it on his upbringing, that he was taught not to show his true intentions, but he's so cold and harsh and brutal that I for a split second wondered how on earth they were going to make me fall in love with him.

 
**SPOILERS AHEAD**

You start the route with Hanzo, who is like the biggest sweetheart ever, before you fall off a cliff and end up with Munenori, who doesn't waste anytime in letting you know that you suck.
Oh Hanzo, so sweet. It would be shame if we were to be separated somehow and I ended up with a total asshole.

GAWD DAMMIT!!!!!

At least he looks good.
I do what I want.

I persevered, and I actually found myself kind of loving his arrogant observations, rude ass remarks, and putdowns. In the real world I would kick him to the curb...maybe...he has really nice hair and money apparently....but I did find myself liking him a little more than I thought I would.

Personal favorite quote, because I am the queen of telling other people "don't tell me what to do".

Sounds reminiscent of my family....

Also, he is pretty inappropriate with you for apparently thinking you are a leper, or at least treating you that way.
 

Completely out of context, but he has quite a few of these lines that on their own are wildly inappropriate.
 
So you accompany him when he goes to train Nobunaga's men since this will apparently be the safest place for you...in the same castle as the enemy. Munenori teaches you how to use a sword, calls you girl or little girl constantly, pretends you are his lover/servant, and even though he knows you have fallen for him and he obviously has decided you no longer suck and he loves your face, he brushes all feelings aside because he has familial responsibilities and doesn't have time to love or something.
 
 
You said it yourself, don't tell me what to do!

I no longer want to argue with this man.
 
So you do return to hang out with the ninjas...
Sasuke, charming as always.
...before having to go with Munenori to Nobunaga's castle for reasons. Once there, Munenori explains that should shit go down he's abandoning your ass and leaving you to die because he has the Yagyu family to think about, and then you discuss secret plans in the bath, where Munenori tries to be helpful.

Well if you insist...
 
Then there is some kind of fighting tournament where Hanzo shows up and pretends to die, than says the sweetest thing ever to you and I honestly wondered why the MC didn't just up and run off with him right then...
*SIGH*
 
Some more fighting/battle stuff happens, Munenori gets poisoned and you both get captured thanks to Oriku of course...can't go through a game without seeing her stupid face...and then he finally realizes he's been a total jackass, admits he loves you, and pretends he never said that nonsense about leaving you to die all alone should something bad happen.
 
That is not what was said earlier Munenori. Don't think your silky locks will make me forget.
 
You guys are saved after you make wolf noises to attract Musashi, Munenori decides he's going to marry you, he lets his family know, and then the ending happens.
 
OH MY GOSH THE ENDING.
ASD;LKJFASDFHA
OH. MY. ASDFHAS;DFJH
 
 
Well.....
 

 
 
Munenori you bastard! I spent most of the route not really feeling it, then all of a sudden at the end you totally make me want to keep your number in my phone for late night booty calls when I'm in the mood for angry sex. So not love exactly, but I don't hate you either.
 
 Wendy's Otome Rating Scale
 
5.5 fangirl screams out of 10.
 
Preferred snacks for Musashi's route;
 
Grapes. You can start eating them after you fall down the embankment trying to get them for Munenori, and you can also squish them in anger when Munenori pisses you off.
 
Ben and Jerry's chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream. With Munenori treating you like you mean nothing to him, and then basically breaking up with you in the middle, you may want to drown your sorrows in ice cream. And cookie dough is the best break up ice cream ever.
 
White wine, preferably the most expensive bottle you can find. Munenori would settle for nothing less.
 



3 comments:

  1. Munenori's personality is better in Musashi's story. But in his own route he's such a jerk, and Hanzo... *sigh*
    You should try Never Look Back and Lost Island from Solmare as well. All the sweet endings are as moe as Munenori's good ending.
    Plus I want to read your review on a game which features Romance AND Zombies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very late to the party, but I have to disagree... Munenori got 10 out of 10 fangirl screams from me, possibly even more (most likely more). But, then again, I'm a pretty sassy asshole myself, so his personality meshed well with me.

    I was digging him from the get-go, and all of his little comments usually made me laugh. The one that didn't was the "I'll leave you if something happens," but I know by that point, it was just bravado (since it was pretty obvious he'd already fallen after all the "You drive me crazy/I go mad with you" stuff - which I loved). The point I knew there was no going back though, was the cat... I won't get into it because spoilers, but I knew he had me at that point. And MC's reaction to the whole thing was the best btw. She ACTUALLY poked fun at him and I was living for it.

    In general, I prefer his type vs Tsundere, since the latter are more about trying to cover up their love with insults or what have you, whereas Munenori is just a playful little asshole who says what he means, just in a blunt way. Honesty, even blunt or hurtful, is a huge turn on for me and a large factor in how much I respect a character/person - which is why I don't typically like Tsundere, because they aren't honest. So I mean, Munenori ticked a lot of my boxes, made me blush, AND laugh. I don't think I really stood a fair chance here lol. (And good lord, that ending was everything - sweet, hot, and hilarious. And did I mention hot? *fans self*).

    ALSO, one thing I really respected about him was that he never denied being in love with her, or having feelings, and he never tried pushing her away in the typical "I don't love you"/"I regret meeting you"-Tsundere fashion. He just knew their paths were different and tried to cut their losses while he could (even though that doesn't work in the end, naturally~). But even though it got my heart clenching, I had a lot of respect for him and the way he handled that. It really pulled me into the story even further, guh. So yeah, man. Mad respect for whoever wrote his route and fleshed out his character. I loved it and just have a lot of feels for it, and him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I died lmao I never laughed so hard x'D I talk that way when i'm playing the game too lmao. At least i'm not the only one

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment!! I read them all, and I appreciate anyone that takes the time to say hi or share their thoughts!